Miami vacation without any green guilt by considering some eco-friendly travel suggestions. Below are 10 tips for greener travel in Miami.
1. Think reusable. Use stainless steel water bottles, snack containers, zippered snack bags and other reusable products to stay hydrated and eat healthy snacks.
2. Buy green gear. Invest in eco-friendly travel gear such as refillable BPA-free containers for shampoos and lotions, solar-powered device chargers, reusable water bottles and bamboo travel blankets.
3. Choose a car or train instead of a plane. Consider driving or using public transportation when traveling to Miami. Air travel is now the fastest growing contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
4. Rent a hybrid or biofueled car. Public transportation is the greenest choice, but if you rent a vehicle, get it from the major car rental companies that offer eco-friendly vehicles.
5. Lighten up your luggage. Simplify your family vacation by packing lighter. The weight of your suitcase impacts the amount of fuel burned and carbon emissions released during your trip.
6. Eat locally and sustainably. Seek out and dine at eco-friendly restaurants near your Miami hotel.
7. Skip the souvenirs. Forget about loading up your suitcases with soon to be forgotten souvenirs. Use your camera or smartphone to capture family memories by taking pictures at each place you visit.
8. Time your sunscreen. Buy a biodegradable, natural brand of sunscreen and apply it at least 30 minutes before you hit the beach. If you put it on just before diving in, even many of the waterproof varieties will come off and add to coastal pollution.
9. Be conscientious during your vacation. Reuse your room sheets and towels while staying at your hotel in Miami. Turn off the lights and set the air conditioning to a higher temperature when you leave your hotel room.
10. Recycle it. Make sure to use recycling bins that are becoming increasingly more common throughout South Florida for bottles, aluminum, plastic and paper.